Imagine you are at the end of your life, taking stock and you ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have any regrets?
- Have I lived by my own rules, dictated by my own values?
- Have my decisions been powered by love or by fear?
- What has my contribution to the world been?
Write down the reasons for your answers; be specific.
- What was on your ‘bucket list’?
- What remains unfulfilled?
- Why did you shy away from doing those things?
- What did you fulfil and what decisions did you take that helped you get there?
And now imagine that someone gives you £100,000 for a year, you have to spend all of it within those 12 months, otherwise you have to give back what remains and you cannot work, you cannot invest your money and you cannot buy any items worth more than £8,000 and those items need to contribute to the activities that bring you enjoyment.
- How would your day to day look like? Write down a specific account of your days, from the moment you wake up to the moment to go to sleep.
- What would get you out of bed filled with excitement?
- Who would you spend your time with?
- What would you do if you couldn’t fail?
Come back to present time. Name 3 things you would like to change in your life?
For example: “I would like to live close to nature, I would love to have more fun, I would like to be have more passion in my life.”
Presently ask yourself this question: “What is stopping me?”
Give several answers to this question as there are bound to be different ‘reasons’.
- I cannot live in nature because I have to work in the city.
- I don’t know what I could do to earn a living in the country side.
- My ideas are not financially viable.
- I am afraid to follow my dream.
- I don’t know what my dream is.
- I am too tired and stressed out to think outside the box I find myself in.
- I am not connected to my passion for life.
- Nature is overrated.
- All my friends and family live in the city.
- I will do that when I retire.
Now that you have taken stock of your life and pondered where you find yourself in present time, write down what you have discovered about the limitations that are framing your reality.
How many of those are because:
- You lost sight of what matters to you.
- You think it is too late to change anything.
- You wouldn’t know where to start.
- You worry about what your family and friends would think of you.
- You will be abandoned.
- You have no talent.
- You don’t have the money.
- You are too old, or too fat, or too ugly, or too insignificant.
- You would be selfish.
- You are worried about what it would take to change.
Or anything else that comes to mind. Do not censor your answers, this is an exercise of deep soul searching, a gift to yourself.
Fast forward 3 years into the future when you find yourself in a totally different place in your life, smiling, confident and fulfilled. Write a letter to your present self from this future self, letting her/him in on the changes that you implemented that resulted in this new place where you now reside.
- What did you shift in 2016 that started paving the way for a more inspired life?
- What qualities did you feed in yourself?
- How did you engage differently with your mind to allow it to be comfortable with new risk-taking?
- Where are you, physically? What does your home look like? What can you smell, hear, see?
- Who is with you?
- What are you doing?
- How do you walk, stand?
- What are you wearing?
- What can you taste?
Be specific and creative. Do not rush here, you want to get the answers from your soul, from a deep knowing, the wise inner you. Feel the answers, rather than think them.
Next, see the ‘You’ in 2016 merge with this future self in 3 years time. Feel your body changing, your posture, the way you breathe, and how you feel in yourself. I suggest that you do this every day to build a new field of expansion and possibilities within you mind/body. Welcome your Maverick!
I can help you step into powerful action to get to this future self; drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and watch your inbox for alerts on freebies and offers.